Facebook’s homepage, the News Feed, is changing with the aim of giving people more opportunities to interact with the people they care about. See how these changes affect you.
You have probably heard about Facebook’s latest algorithm squeeze, which was announced in the last week.
One of our big focus areas for 2018 is making sure the time we all spend on Facebook is time well spent.We built…
Facebook’s homepage, the News Feed, is changing with the aim of giving people more opportunities to interact with the people they care about. Facebook will be prioritising posts that create meaningful conversations, especially those from family and friends.
The algorithm will be prioritising posts that prompt conversations between friends and posts that people might want to share and react to, such as “a post from a friend seeking advice, a friend asking for recommendations for a trip, or a news article or video prompting lots of discussion.”
This means if you own a Facebook page for business, it will be vital that your posts are seen as relevant, engaging and suited to your audience.
Here are some ways which you can help to ensure your posts still get seen in the newsfeed:
- Post content that is going to create a response: Facebook states that “Page posts that generate conversation between people will show higher in News Feed.” What can you post which is likely to get genuine comments – such as asking your community for their opinion, sparking conversation, and offering insight or expertise?
- Encourage your employees to help build engagement: Your employees are you most underused resource. Help them to understand the new algorithm change and the importance of social media for your business. Get them eager to share and engage with your Page – and reward them for doing so!
- Create a Group with a common interest: We run the Avocado Social Media Hub, which is a common interest Group all about social media tips and advice. As people are more likely to comment about a shared interest – it means Group activity is much more likely to show in the News Feeds.
- Go live: Live video is a good way to generate comments. Going live ad hoc is not a good strategy as it’s too random. Think about a weekly, fortnightly, or monthly ‘show’ you can produce featuring you giving expertise, perhaps a special guest, or colleagues which you interview.
- Get serious about influencer outreach: Don’t rely on your own brand pages alone to get out to your target audience. The power of influencers is real, and if well-connected, like-minded bloggers, or social media users with influence, talk about you and your brand then you should see an impact.